Thursday, July 24, 2008

First Lie

Some sounds are undeniable and this one was no exception. The unmistakeable, meat-tenderizing "thunk" of a child's punch. I quickly moved from the kitchen to the living room where, sure enough, Baby Dude was leaning over the coffee table, his back arched out and his mouth gaped open in a "Did-she-really-just-do-that-to-me?" expression. Lil' Miss was close at hand, a little too close actually. Her hands were fiddling nervously behind her back and her guilty eyes were looking everywhere but at me.

"Lil' Miss, did something happen to Baby Dude?"
"Nuffing happened, Mom. I didn't do nuffing to him."

No response came from me. I was too stunned to speak. I needed to sit down. Now I was the one asking the question, "Did she really just do that to me?" I knew this day would eventually come, as it does for most parents, so why was I so surprised, so unprepared? First smile, first laugh, first tumble, even first tantrum I was ready for, but first lie?

Ordinarily when she'd hang up her angel wings and wander from the straight and narrow, she'd always come right out with it, even if she hadn't been caught. No coaxing required. She'd climb into my lap (a makeshift confessional of sorts) where I'd wrap arms of absolution around her and offer atonement in the form of a "time out". After apologies were made and forgiveness granted, she'd return to her playing- a lighter, freer version of herself. And this, like clockwork, is the way it always went. Purge, Pardon, Penance, Play. Purge, Pardon, Penance, Play. So why the sudden need to conceal the truth? Had I been taking her pure honesty for granted? Didn't she know how important trust was in a relationship? I had to help her understand.

"Honey, let's say one morning Mommy told you that if you were a good girl all day, I'd give you a piece of cake before bedtime. So all day you did what you were told and listened to Mommy. You were SO excited for the cake Mommy had promised you. (Lil' Miss's eyes are lit up so I know I've got her.) But at the end of the day when you asked Mommy for your piece of cake I said, 'I never told you that I'd give you cake. You can't have cake!' And let's say the next day, I promised you the same thing, but at the end of the day I again refused to give you some cake. Well, you would be so hurt and sad. And maybe after a while you would stop believing Mommy about the cake. Mommy kept lying and you just couldn't trust me anymore. Lil' Miss, do you understand why it's so important to be honest and tell the truth? It's so people will trust and believe you. Now, is there something you'd like to tell me about what happened with your brother?"

"No, nuffing happened. But Mom, can I have a piece of cake?"

No comments: