Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Scheduling Conflicts at the Office

I tend to be a slow mover in the morning. Of course, it has nothing to do with Baby Dude's middle-of-the-night cries from the crib or Lil' Miss's four a.m. requests from the bathroom to "Wipe me!". I'm sure it's just that I've become a terribly lazy person over the years. When I finally wobble out of bed (right about the time Honk stands in the doorway and yells, "I'm leaving now and the kids are wandering around the house unsupervised!"), I make my way to the kitchen, a place I will not leave for the next two hours. What exactly I busy myself with in there is a mystery to me. I know there are some frozen waffles involved and that I may say something along the lines of "Remember, little girl, no talking to Mommy until she gets out of her pajamas..." (something that won't happen until lunch time), but everything else is a blur.

Baby Dude, on the other hand, is quite "motivated" in the morning. In fact, he's not only gotten the worm, he's dissected it and tossed it's segmented body parts around the backyard long before the early bird has even taken its first morning stretch. Baby Dude's productivity in the day's first hours is a credit to two-year-olds everywhere. I should be so efficient in the morning! (I should also be so lucky to get a full night's sleep ever again in my life.)

Baby Dude's day begins with an early morning power walk through the park. Nothing like some physical conditioning in the great outdoors among God's creatures. My guess is he's not the only one with a raised heart rate.

Then, it's back home and into the kitchen where he whips up a quick breakfast. I encourage his interests in cooking. If I play my cards right, I won't cook anothter meal after his twelfth birthday. Ten years to go!
Then some laundry folding. He complains that he's always buried in it.
Tell me about it!

After that, he gets started on Feng Shui plans for the toy room. I'm still a bit unclear on the layout, but I'm not the genius here. One must have an eye for these things.

Next, music composition. According to today's young artists, it's all about the journey, not the destination.

And then, vocal exercises. Right now, he's belting out a deep, soulful rendition of "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun".
Then some light mechanical repairs. His first published book on automotives will be titled, Caring for Your Car, Handy Manny Style.
This is followed by some research on children's literature.

And, of course, he always leaves himself a little time for emails. Now you can stop wondering who's been sending you all those anonymous chain letters. Don't forget to forward this blog to ten people!
Right about this time, I've finally pulled myself together and am ready to take on the world, or at least Albertsons. But the timing is all wrong. Baby Dude has worn himself out from his own busy activities this morning and desperately needs a nap. We won't be leaving this house any time soon. Maybe, when you boil it all down, life is really about being flexible. That and something about loving your neighbor as yourself, or whatever.

2 comments:

topsail said...

Well, I always knew Baby Dude was multi talented! Just like his big sister! But I definitely empathize with his Mom - I don't know how you do it!!

mamaca said...

OK.....I thought I was exhausted watching him at my house.
YOU WIN!!