Friday, November 14, 2008

Out with the OLD, In with the NEW

Every once in a while, a teachable moment presents itself. I really try not to botch these up. They help off-set all the stupid "Did I really just say that outloud?" moments that plague me the majority of the time. But sometimes, no matter how wise my words or how pure my intentions, the wires get crossed and the message is lost.

A few days ago, we were cruising around a shopping center and an elderly woman walked by us. I stopped the stroller and smiled at her as she slowly shuffled along. Her back was severely hunched over and her feet barely covered any distance with each step. But eventually she passed us and Lil' Miss asked, "Mom, what's wrong with her?"

"Well, sometimes when people get older, their bodies start to hurt and they have to walk slowly."

"Oh."

"Remember when you stubbed your toe this morning and you had to walk really slow because it hurt so bad? That's how old people feel. Only their whole body is like a stubbed toe."

"Oh."

"So that's why it's important to be kind and patient with them. We need to smile, wait, and help them if we can."

"Oh."

We walked on in silence and I could tell she was really thinking about it. My mind raced to the future where I saw my little Mother Teresa to-be dedicated to the cause of kindness, living a selfless life of service to the old and frail. And it was all because of ME! My patient example, my profound words.

Then Lil' Miss turned to me and said, "Mom, some people move slow because they're OLD."

"Yeah, that's right, honey."

Then she takes off running ahead of me, pumping her arms and legs as fast as she can and yells back over her shoulder, "But look at me! I move fast because I'm NEW!!!"

2 comments:

lindsay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mamaca said...

That's my girl....smart and funny!