Sunday, May 17, 2009

To Walk is Human, To Swim Divine

Never in my lifetime have I witnessed such fear and pessimism about the future. The economic crisis, terrorism, and global warming have cast a dark shadow over many Americans and their dreams for the years ahead.

But recently, I discovered that for some (okay, for one) the future is much more grim than just melting ice caps and evaporating 401K's.

A few nights ago, I sat in the bathroom reading a magazine while Lil' Miss and Baby Dude were taking a bath. As she was assisting her Barbie mermaid dive in and out of bath bubbles, Lil' Miss looked up at me and excitedly announced, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a mermaid!"

me: "Oh yeah?"

her: "Yeah!"

Not wanting to break her heart by revealing the mythical nature of mermaids, I decided to crush her dreams for the future instead. "Well, Honey, I don't think you can become a mermaid. I think you're either born a girl or a mermaid. It's either legs or fins."

her: "Oh..."

me: "Do you think you're going to be okay with a life of legs?"

her: "Yeah, I guess so..."

I've never seen such dejection on a four year-old's face. For Lil' Miss, this is the worst reality of the Great Recession. I know, kiddo. Bipedalism stinks.

No comments: