Friday, May 29, 2009

The Teacher Becomes the Student

"Where did you learn that?" I've been asking this question a lot lately. It seems my daughter has mutated into Google Girl, a walking, talking encyclopedia of preschool facts. All day long Lil' Miss Smarty Pants fires a barrage of "Did you know...?" questions at me. It's like living with a Snapple bottle lid.

She says things like, "Mom, did you know red and blue are colors of the rainbow and together they make purple?" or "Did you know dreams come from our head? Our head makes up stories while we're sleeping." Yesterday, while pushing her on the swings at the park she imparts more of her scientific knowledge to me, "Mom, when the sun's out it makes shadows on the ground. See?"

Who is teaching her this stuff? Her preschool teacher? Dora, maybe? And what kind of lousy excuse of a mother am I? Shouldn't she be learning this stuff from me? And while we're on the subject, since when did a cocoon become a "chrysalis"?

This morning as I was madly trying to squeeze some honey onto my toast she starts in again, "Mom, did you know bees make honey?"

"Yes, actually. I did know that one." (I am pathetically proud of myself for this achievement.)

"Did you know the bees use sunflowers to make it?"

Now I am very quiet. I intensely focus on buttering my toast, hoping she is not expecting some kind of response from me. I'm not sure about this one. My gut tells me she's giving false information, but her confidence is making me second guess myself. Deep inside my brain, the questions begin to swirl, "Bees use sunflowers to make honey? No they don't! Or do they...? I don't think so, but maybe they do... I don't know! I DON'T KNOW!!!"

Something tells me motherhood has a truckload of butt kicking in store for me.

2 comments:

lindsay said...

If it's any consolation, I wouldn't have known about honey from sunflowers either. I got curious after reading your blog and looked it up on the ever reliable and never wrong source of Wikipedia. It appears as if a sunflower is one of many places honey can come from. Maybe there needs to be a new game show - "Are you Smarter than Lil' Miss?"

mamaca said...

Just how old is she really? I think when she turns 5 I'll have to tell her I'm hard of hearing. Now I wish I finished college. Maybe I can take some night classes before she turns 6.